What is greenwashing in skin care? Helping consumers understand ethical beauty.
I’m shining a spotlight on uncovering greenwashing in skin care and how to spot dirty techniques brands can use to mislead you.
Who really cares about this? Well consumers don’t like being deceived. There’s a lot of talk about immune compromised individuals & trust me they care. Plus you want to make sure what you’re promised is what you are really paying for.
Greenwashing is the deceptive use of green marketing to create a misleading perception among consumers that a company’s policies, services, or products are organic or environmentally friendly.
It’s greenwashing when a company or organization spends more time and money claiming to be “green” through advertising and marketing than actually implementing business practices that minimize environmental impact. It’s whitewashing, but with a green brush.
How It Works
Let’s say Company XYZ produces a new line of plastic food containers. It labels the containers “tree friendly” because they are not made from wood or forest products. This creates the perception that the company is not harming nature to make the food containers, when in fact it is using petroleum products that many argue are more harmful to the environment. Company XYZ is attempting to greenwash its products.
Source: Investing Answers
They’re assuming we aren’t going to turn the bottle around and read the label, and perhaps even go the extra step to look up the ingredients listed.
What you need to look for when shopping for an authentic natural or organic product:
- Check the ingredients on the label carefully and read the fine print – it may say organic/natural actives or organic essential oils which is usually only a tiny percentage of a synthetic formulation.
- Look out for natural ingredients, especially in the top 5 ingredients of the formulation as the ingredients are listed in the order of percentage, highest to lowest.
- If any of the following ingredients are in the top 5 to 10 listed, then you will usually find that it is not a natural formula; mineral oil (petroleum), acetone, acrylates copolymer, sodium lauryl sulphate, PEGs (any number, they are synthetic), parabens (many have prefixes in front of them such as methyl, butyl, ethyl propyl), DEA, MEA, TEA, dioxin, triclosan, petrolatum, imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea.
- No nano-particles
- With organic ingredients
- No petroleum based ingredients
- Ingredients that are Cruelty-free, vegan and vegetarian
- Free from oxybenzone and octinoxate
- Free from synthetic fragrances or dyes
- Free from gluten, dairy, soy, corn, no GMO
- Free from phthalates, parabens, preservatives
- Free from insects or animal ingredients
Do you really know what is in the products you use? If you would like to avoid the thousands of chemicals used in everyday health, beauty and household products, then use only all natural, chemical free, cruelty free, additive free, organic and vegetarian products like Nature’s Brands
Nature’s Brands includes Organic Personal Care | Natural Cosmetics | Organic Whole Food Vitamins | Organic Herbal Remedies | Dental care | Natural Deodorant | Chemical Free Hair Dye
New Customer to Natures Brands? Save 20% on your first order! Use discount code NEW during checkout.
© 2018. beautybulletins.com All Rights Reserved. Please do not reproduce or republish content without permission.